National Weather Service storm survey teams have confirmed a total of 19 tornadoes in the state over Memorial Day. Ohio averages 19 tornados per year. So far this year Ohio has had 32 tornadoes.
In all, one person was killed and over 140 people have been injured as a result of the tornadoes. The fatality occurred in Celina, Ohio where an EF3 tornado struck.
Confirmed Ohio Tornadoes May 27 – 28:
- Ern Montgomery and Wrn/Cntrl Greene County (EF3)
- Trotwood (EF3) (Montgomery Co.)
- Celina (EF3) (Mercer Co.)
- Northeast Montgomery County, OH (EF2)
- Laurelville (EF2) (Hocking Co.)
- West Milton (EF2) (Miami Co.)
- Northeast of Jamestown (EF2) (Green Co,)
- Northeast of Jamestown (EF1) (Green Co.)
- South of Tarlton (EF1) (Pickaway Co.)
- West of Wapakoneta (EF1) (Auglaize Co.)
- New Madison (EF1) (Darke Co.)
- South of Hollansburg (EF1) (Lucas Co.)
- Southeast of Circleville (EF0) (Pickaway Co.)
- Phillipsburg (EF0) (Montgomery Co.)
- Taylor Creek Township (EF0) (Hardin Co.)
- Waynesfield (EF0) (Auglaize Co.)
- South of Troy (EF0) (Miami Co.)
- Roseville (EF1) (Perry & Muskingum Cos.)
- Zaleski (EF0) (Vinton Co.)
The NWS team out of Wilmington, Ohio was out as late as yesterday (05/29) surveying storm damage in their coverage area.
EDIT 5:50 PM 05/30 | NWS Wilmington has upgraded the EF3 tornado in the Trotwood (Montgomery Co.) to and EF4. They were able to use aerial photography (not available for the first survey) to pinpoint specific structures along the path that they simply did not have access to due to closed roads, safety concerns, staying out of the way of search/rescue teams in the hardest hit areas.
EDIT 6:15 PM 05/30 | Going to have to change the headline to “20 tornadoes”. NWS Wilmington, Oh has confirmed an EF0 tornado today at Elizabeth Township in Miami County.